Sunday, April 12, 2009

Blogpost #4

Welcome, Dick Biondi fans!

First, let's give credit where credit is due. Thanks to Annette for suggesting the long-overdue Dick Biondi tribute for Easter Sunday, 2009. She's a super Beatles fan and an intern for Dick Biondi's Friday Night request party. His podcast page on the WLS-FM web site is the best place to hear the complete original version of his hard-to-find 1962 single "The Pizza Song".

The panel above is the cover art for Dick Biondi's 1970 LP which was edited down for my broadcast. The complete LP with the original song lineup can be heard on the REELRADIO website along with the other twelve volumes in the series. Avoid the poorly re-edited versions available on CD.

The WLS and WCFL airchecks are available unedited on CD on Ebay's highly rated Rockit Radio online store. Years ago, they were available on cassette from Tom Konard's Aircheck Factory mail-order service, but Tom was forced to close up shop due to family health concerns. My co-producer Wayne Bryman not only supplied the cassette, but also his personal memories of his friendship with Dick Biondi. Thanks, Wayne.

The May 2, 1962 clips came from the first edition of Programmer's Digest on LP, which is currently available on Ebay if you can afford the asking price. Audiophiles should note that the LP was mastered from a tape with annoying low-level hum. The version I played was digitally cleaned for broadcast.

Next Sunday is the birthday of Dickie Goodman, best remembered for his break-in comedy singles. I'll be playing his 1956 smash hit "Flying Saucer Parts One and Two", of course, but I'll also be playing some of the rip-off versions by other troublemakers from the late fifties.

See you next Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Hi John! This show is wonderful! I really enjoyed hearing Dick's history! Is there anyway I can receive a copy of today's show? That would be so lovely! Please let me know! annettestein123@gmail.com

    Thanks! Keep up the great work!!!

    Annette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you happen to know of a source for the original LP that Dick Biondi did on WLS-AM somewhere around 1962? As I remember, it included a number of talking pieces with music backups. That was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to ditto the question of if I can get a copy of yesterday's show, as I'm afraid I missed it.
    Thanks!
    ~Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard, Paul! I'm posting my response here because none of your blogs list an e-mail address.
    The only Dick Biondi LP I know of is the Cruisin' 1960 album which was produced in 1970. You can click on the REELRADIO link above to hear it online.
    Wait a minute... didn't WLS deejay Art Roberts record an LP of talking pieces in the late sixties titled Hip Fables & Bedtime Stories? Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

    ReplyDelete